A common question I get from clients is “what should I mix my protein powder with?”
There is no one, right answer except for, whatever you enjoy the most and that you will drink!
In this article I will share some tips and suggestions for how to whip up your protein shake.
The Liquid Base
While water is the most basic option, there are several other liquids you can use to enhance the flavor and nutrient profile of your protein shake.
1. Cow’s milk, whether regular or low-fat, is a popular choice for making protein shakes. It adds creaminess and a rich flavor to the shake while providing additional nutrients like calcium and vitamin D. If you are lactose intolerant or sensitive, you might prefer a milk like Lactaid or Fairlife. Personally, I like to add some Fairlife milk every now and then to give myself a little bump in overall protein for the day too. When I do add Fairlife, I don’t make it 100% of what I mix my shake with and generally keep it at a cup or less and make up the difference with water.
2. For those who prefer a plant-based option, you can opt for almond milk, soy milk, or other milk alternatives.
3. For a refreshing and tropical twist, consider using coconut water as the base for your protein shake. Coconut water is not only hydrating but also provides natural electrolytes, making it a great choice for post-workout recovery.
4. For coffee lovers, blending protein powder with your morning brew creates a delicious and energizing combination. You can opt for hot or cold coffee, depending on your preference. Be mindful of your caffeine intake after noon or so! You don’t want to compromise your sleep by drinking caffeine too late in the day.
How much water, milk, etc.?
This ultimately comes down to you and your taste and texture preferences. For myself, I like my shakes on the “thinner” side and simultaneously also want to support increasing my fluid intake, so I will often mix my protein shake with about 20-24 ounces of water.
If you are someone who likes the consistency of your shake to be a little thicker, then mix it with a little bit less liquid.
What kind of protein powders do we recommend?
At Achieve, our brand of preference is EarthFed Muscle.
We love the variety of flavors, the minimal ingredients, and they mix well. In addition, they are another Pennsylvania company and we like to support another “local” business!
If you were to come to the gym, we have some of the more popular flavors on hand available for sale.
Don’t want to commit to a whole container when you are not sure if you will like it? We appreciate the opportunity for you to “try before you buy” and have samples on hand for sale.
There are 3 options for you to be able to save 10% on your purchase.
- Our products in the gym are priced at 10% off everyday!
- You can jump in on our gym order that is placed the last Friday of the month. This also helps you save on shipping!
- You can shop our link anytime at http://www.earthfedmuscle.com/Candice
Making a delicious and nutritious protein shake is a wonderful way to support your fitness and dietary goals. By exploring the various ways you can personalize your protein shake, you can create an enjoyable beverage that motivates you to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Remember to experiment, be creative, and find the mix of ingredients that excites your taste buds while meeting your nutritional needs. Cheers to a healthy and energizing protein shake journey!